- 225g (8oz) soft margarine
- 225g (8oz) soft light brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- ½ teaspoon almond essence
- 400g (14oz) self-raising flour
- 450g (1lb) dried fruit
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 425g (14½ oz) can apricot halves, drained and chopped
- Heat oven to 160C (325F).
- Cream the margarine and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs and almond essence gradually, adding a tablespoon of the flour with the last amount of egg.
- Fold in the rest of the flour, baking powder and all the fruit and carefully combine until mixed.
- Turn the mixture into the prepared tin and smooth the top.
- Bake in oven for about 1½ hours until golden.
- Cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then turn on to a wire rack.
- If freezing the cake, leave the foil on when cooling. When cold, wrap extra foil around the cake and freeze. To use, thaw for 3 to 4 hours at room temperature.